Sunday, June 5, 2011

“What We Two Alone Can See”

PLEASE feel free to comment. Thank you for time. Deborah

Is a love poem necessary
Between you and I
After all I see when you look at me
Or all you hold looking in my eyes?

Maybe Barrett would say it best:
“How do I love thee...”
A Dickenson, Rossetti or Nin,
But they know not your heart’s beat.

So many lyrics, novels, praised hymns
Could speak my devotion.
But, never the prayer I whisper low
At sunrise and dusk’s pink in adoration.

I know Love writes its own,
A language only two can read
Between lines, in the holy silences;
A kiss bears no Shakespeare could verse.

We need no road map or compass
Our path is led hand in hand,
God has our perfect destined end
As reward for two, this eve and adam.

When I no longer sit by your side
And this bed holds me no longer,
My tears will mingle with yours,
Always knowing eternity holds no hours.

To many there was a seen start.
A beginning assessed as impossible
Wrong, flawed, with broken hearts
    for last page to our book’s final toll.

 We both have clung to what few
On this battlefield have dodged,
Raised our heads unashamed of whispers
Common and likely to crush.

Yet, what makes a love poem, Sonnet,
Or book worth the reading but LOVE
In all its shades and seasons that
Promise that will never  turn to rust.

No comments: