Thursday, March 22, 2007

“GRANDMOTHER “

1913
a year I cannot recall like I do others.
I was not flesh yet, my soul still roosting in clouds.

1960
Daunting to think I could even saunter into her
Existence and claim her full attention,
But I did.

Birds… I understood her need for wings and
Song like wheat stalks bursting to be gleaned
And eaten meant for more than a sweet
Possibility.

She had culture, her hands told you in a snap
Or an unforgiving index rising for your attention;
Her culture was not to be confused with
Unkindness.

I liked her undefeated smile, her interpretations
Of life’s injustices, negativity was a mere umph
Instead of despair. I liked her washing my underwear
Into love’s verbatim.

I loved her fries the best, perfectly gold,
Sprinkled with just the right amount of salt and
How she prided herself in cooking
Without a recipe book.

I enjoyed her fast pace, never missing a step
Between coming or going like a Swiss watch
Ticking precision.

I want to have her far away stare,
she always seared beyond tomorrow.

90
would have found her wrinkled but still rounding
us up under her hand for direction, maybe a
few unpleasant words and a toothless
chuckle.--I don’t know.

No comments: