Sunday, May 29, 2011

“Meant To Pierce This Atmosphere”

PLEASE feel free to comment. Thank you for time. Deborah

I shamefully fall on the cold ground,
Though my wings are spread open wide.
I was told that I could fly, soar,
That I was destined to sail.

 “Mama, Mama.”  It wavers round.
Wind does not lift me off this tall rock.
Held down, I’m tied to earth
By the gravity of doubt’s hail.

Where is the promise of bird song,
The horizon of sea seamless with sky?
I flap these desperate wings
Yet, my eager heart slowly fails.

It must be beautiful to dismount
This sea-level state, to become a hawk
Free from fear and Time’s clutch
Piercing mortality’s skin’s veil.

Abba, Abba, please sever the bound,
The believer within my soul crushed sigh
Pumping warm, yet calling me
Though my dream be frail.

I know Your promises are strong,
Immovable to all who fear not the gawk
Of yesterday but still walk in hope
For Today to blaze a clearer trail.

How well fits the thorny crown,
‘The spirit’s willing, the body is weak’ cry.
We are all Peters wanting to walk
Upon water, but our faith proves pale.

But...

Fly, I will. First Morn at trumpet sound!
My flight no longer faint or blocked.
I shall burst forth unharnessed
And alas, Whole, deeply exhale!

1 comment:

Darla Isackson said...

who could not relate? We all yearn to fly and find our wings clipped or wounded or broken. What a gift Debbie has to express in poetry so many precious thoughts and feelings!
Darla Isackson